Sheer Kurma that literally means “Milk with Dates” in Persian is a traditional recipe prepared with Milk, Vermicelli, Nuts and Cashews and Dates. It is a recipe prepared during the Eid Festival. It is very rich in flavor and a very simple sweet dish to prepare.
Milk – 600 ml (2 ½ cup)
Fine Semiya (Vermicelli) – ½ cup
Ghee – 1 ½ tbsp
Sugar – 2 tbsp
Condensed Milk – 2 tbsp
Cashews – 10
Almonds – 12
Unsalted Pistachios (Pista) – 1 ½ tbsp
Dried Seedless Dates (Kharik) – 6
Chironji (Charoli) – 1 tbsp
Rice – 1 tbsp
Cardoman (Elaichi) Powder – ¼ tsp
Saffron – 10 to 12 strands (If available)
Soak all the dry fruits except Chironji in hot water for an hour. Peel the skin of Almonds and Pistachio. Discard the seeds of dry dates. Slice all the dry fruits including the dates. Keep them aside.
Soak 1 tsp of Rice for 30 minutes. Grind it into a smooth paste with little water or milk.
Heat a tbsp of Ghee and roast the sliced dry fruits including Chironji and roast for 30 to 40 seconds in low to medium flame, transfer to bowl and keep aside.
In the same pan, roast the Vermicelli till it turns golden brown, transfer to another bowl and keep aside.
Boil Milk in the pan till the quantity reduces to 500 ml (2 cups).
Add the Rice Paste. Cook for a couple of minutes.
Add the Roasted Vermicelli.
Wait for a minute and add Saffron and Sugar. Let the Sugar melt.
Add Condensed Milk, Roasted Dry Fruits (leaving a small quantity for garnishing at a later stage) and Cardoman Powder. Mix well and simmer for a minute.
Transfer to the serving bowl. Garnish with Dry Fruits.
- Sheer Korma can be chilled and served.
- Don’t burn the Vermicelli. Break the Vermicelli into small pieces by crushing with hand before roasting.
- Roast the Dry Fruits just for a minute. Else, they will become tough.
- Do not overcook the Vermicelli. Fine Vermicelli takes hardly a minute to become soft and cooked.
- Black Dates can also be used in place of Dry Dates.
- Dates, Milk and Condensed Milk add sweetness to the dish. So, adjust the Sugar quantity to suit taste.