Konkani Style Jackfruit Chickpeas Curry or Kadgi Gashi is a very popular raw Jackfruit Curry from the Konkan Region. This dish is prepared generally during special occasions like festivals, marriages etc. It is prepared with Kabuli Channa (Chickpeas) and is a coconut based spicy curry. This curry goes well with steamed Rice. You can have it with Roti, Chapatti as well.
Raw Jack Fruit – 250 Gms
Kabuli Channa (White Chick Peas) – ½ cup (soaked in water over night)
Turmeric Powder – 1/8 tsp
Oil – ½ tsp
Red Chillies – 6 to 8 (broken)
Coriander Seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
Grated Coconut – ½ cup
Tamarind – small gooseberry sized ball
Scraped Jaggery – 1 spoon
Coconut Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Red Chillies – 3 (broken)
Curry Leaves from 2 twigs
Cook the white Channa in a pressure cooker with ¼ tsp of Salt and ½ cup of water for 4 to 5 whistles in medium flame. Keep it away to cool.
Heat the Oil in a broad pan. Add the Dry red Chillies and roast for a minute. Add Coriander Seeds, Cumin Seeds and Mustard Seeds. Roast them for a minute in low flame. Once they cool, transfer to a mixer jar. Add grated Coconut and Tamarind. Crush them for a minute. Now, add required water and grind them to a fine paste.
Remove the skin of the Raw Jack Fruit. Cut them into 1 inch cubes. Please see notes at the end which will take you step by step of preparing the raw jackfruit for any recipe)
Cook the Kabuli Channa in a pressure cooker till the Channa become soft (not mushy).
Heat a pan. Add raw Jack Fruit Cubes. Add the cooked Kabuli Channa and the ground Coconut Paste. And 2 cups of water. Mix well. Add Salt and Turmeric Powder. When it comes to a boil, cover with a lid and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes in low medium flame till the Jack Fruit pieces are cooked well. Add Jaggery. Adjust the gravy thickness according to your preference.
Heat 2 tbsp of Coconut Oil in a small pan. Crackle Mustards in it. Add the Red Chillies and Curry Leaves. Stir for a few seconds. Pour this tempering to the Curry. Mix well.
- Use only tender Jackfruit for this curry.
- We can use Black or white Chickpeas.
- How to cut the Raw Jackfruit
- Spread a newspaper or apply Oil on the Kitchen platform to easily remove the Jack Fruit stains
- Apply Oil in your palms, fingers and knife.
- Cut the tender Jack Fruit into two halves.
- Wipe the white sap (milky substance) which starts dripping from the Jackfruit with a tissue.
- Cut further into two of each halves. Wipe the sap with the tissues.
- Cut of the hard thick skin and also the center core from each piece and discard.
- Now, cut the jackfruit into 1 inch cubes.
- Dissolve ¼ tsp of Salt in water and immerse the above pieces in this water. The quantity of water should be enough to immerse all the pieces. Take out the pieces and drain and use only when you want to use it.